Hail to the Ming

Hail to the Ming

台灣英語網1.0 » 週二 9月 15, 2015 1:25 am

I love the New York Post's sports as it is as mean as New Yorkers. On the top of its sports on-line edition reads, "The Best Sports In Town." And indeed NYP has it. If a player plays good, NYP gives credits to this player generously. If a player sucks, NYP bashes this guy with the meanest words immediately; it doesn't give it a damn even if this player is as noble a person as Dr. Martin Luther King or Gandi.

When Chien-Ming Wang played good early this season, yes, NYP praised him, but they don't seem to like him very much, as they called Wang "soft-talking freak". And when Wang won a game with limited K's, they call it a "pedestrian outing". But now, they call him "Cy Wang". In today's issue, after Wang beat Orioles yesterday, George King of NYP writes:

If there was any doubt before yesterday that Chien-Ming Wang is the Yankees' ace, it quickly vanished into the lovely, late-summer air over Camden Yards.

… Yes, ahead of future Hall of Fame lock Randy Johnson and borderline Cooperstown candidate Mike Mussina.

… notched his 17th win, tied the Twins' Johan Santana for the major league lead and kept his name in the Cy Young debate.

(Orioles's) Loewen, who was 2-0 with a 2.65 ERA in four starts against the Yankees this year, gave up two runs in seven innings, but against Wang it was enough to absorb his fifth loss in 10 decisions.

Thanks to Wang, three was enough. It's what aces and Game 1 starters do.

You conquer the New York Post and you conquer New York. Wang is not only the pride of Taiwan; he is also the pride of New York now.
Site Admin

文章: 31478
註冊時間: 週六 8月 15, 2015 3:05 am

Re: Hail to the Ming

台灣英語網1.0 » 週二 9月 15, 2015 1:25 am

引文:
birdman 寫道:
I love the New York Post's sports as it is as mean as New Yorkers. On the top of its sports on-line edition reads, "The Best Sports In Town." And indeed NYP has it. If a player plays good, NYP gives credits to this player generously. If a player sucks, NYP bashes this guy with the meanest words immediately; it doesn't give it a damn even if this player is as noble a person as Dr. Martin Luther King or Gandi.

When Chien-Ming Wang played good early this season, yes, NYP praised him, but they don't seem to like him very much, as they called Wang "soft-talking freak". And when Wang won a game with limited K's, they call it a "pedestrian outing". But now, they call him "Cy Wang". In today's issue, after Wang beat Orioles yesterday, George King of NYP writes:

If there was any doubt before yesterday that Chien-Ming Wang is the Yankees' ace, it quickly vanished into the lovely, late-summer air over Camden Yards.

… Yes, ahead of future Hall of Fame lock Randy Johnson and borderline Cooperstown candidate Mike Mussina.

… notched his 17th win, tied the Twins' Johan Santana for the major league lead and kept his name in the Cy Young debate.

(Orioles's) Loewen, who was 2-0 with a 2.65 ERA in four starts against the Yankees this year, gave up two runs in seven innings, but against Wang it was enough to absorb his fifth loss in 10 decisions.

Thanks to Wang, three was enough. It's what aces and Game 1 starters do.

You conquer the New York Post and you conquer New York. Wang is not only the pride of Taiwan; he is also the pride of New York now.

I was there at Camden Yards and cheered on for him. It was amazing. Flags of ROC were everywhere!

When a group of us cheered for Wang, Orioles fans were trying to show supports to the Orioles by saying "Let's go Oroiles Let's go" which was louder than us. Then one of a Taiwanese student started "let's go yankee let's go" few seconds later, our cheers overcame theirs. It was so much fun. We had more Yankee's fans or should I say Wang's fan in the park than Oriole's fan at their home game.

Let's go Yankee let's go!
Site Admin

台灣英語網1.0 » 週二 9月 15, 2015 1:26 am

引文:
I was there at Camden Yards and cheered on for him. It was amazing. Flags of ROC were everywhere!

You were there? It must be one hell of a happy weekend. Undoubtedly, when the audience gave Wang a standing ovation as he walked off the mound in the 8th inning, you were among those standing.

While Taiwan media say Wang's English has improved a great deal, I am not quite sure about it. When any of other Yankees' pitchers wins a game, all the comments quoted and appear in the next day's newspapers come mostly from this pitcher himself. But up to now, all I see are still "Torre said...," "Jeter said...," "Posada said of Wang,” every time after Wang has won a game. But that is not a problem at all, New Yorkers seem to get used to this freak's stereotype and they begin to love it.

Well, you win the game and you win the audience, especially in New York.
Site Admin

It was indeed a very good game to watch.

There is this little story about me been there on Saturday...

When I read about Wang's related news online (Taiwanese news website such as Chinatimes.com.tw). It indicated that Wang will start on the 10th. Now we all know that the starting picther on their starting day usually does not do autography. So, I have planned to go to the ball game on the 9th. So, the game didn't start till 4:30 on the 9th, I was there before the gate open and get down near the field around 3:00.... I watied and waited and didn't see Wang... Then I saw Wang come out of the locker room tunnel and headed to bull pan... so I rushed over near the bull pan. Lots of Taiwanese were up there near the bull pan, so we started to chat, I soon realized... the 10th indicated by Chinatimes was the 10th in terms of Taipei times which is ... really the 9th EST. Darn it. So, of course, I didn't get his autograph this time...

Anyway, I could have go today (Sunday) but I just don't have the energy anymore.
Site Admin

引文:
birdman 寫道:

That's what they say about New Yorker. They are very realistic, and not just for the sports games.
Site Admin

引文:
mayflower 寫道:
引文:
birdman 寫道:

That's what they say about New Yorker. They are very realistic, and not just for the sports games.

This is also a big part of American culture, the whole "No place for the second best" thing...

From team owner's perspective, Wang is just a commodity, an investment. From fans' perspective if he can't win then he is a nobody.

I talked to my American friends about Wang last year when I bumped into him at the inner harbour, no one know who he is and no one cared, it was because he was a nobody in America. This year is different, he is now somebody and more and more people want to know him more.

Even some of my redneck buddies even come to me and ask me about him...
Site Admin

台灣英語網1.0 » 週二 9月 15, 2015 1:27 am

Quotes form the sports of the New York Post, Sep. 17.

"After Chien-Ming Wang was pedestrian in losing the opener, 5-2...."

- Yes, NYP thinks Wang was not at his best yesterday.

"'I trust them all, emotionally I trust them and stuff-wise, I trust them,' Torre said of Wang, Johnson and Mike Mussina, who likely will work in that order in the ALDS."

- NYP still thinks Wang should be the game 1 starter in ALDS, ahead of Johnson and Mussina. I wonder what's on Torre's mind.

"'He did what he usually does,' Jeter said of Wang, who lost for the first time in more than a month. 'We didn't score runs for him.'"

- His teammate backed him up. Again, Wang is not quoted.
Site Admin

誰在線上
正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 0 位訪客