Are you an English small talk champion?/你是一位英文聊天高手嗎？
Are you an English small talk champion?/你是一位英文聊天高手嗎？ (中英對照 精華文章)
當要開始一個對話，最好的選擇安全話題就像是天氣，工作，體育，嗜好及興趣。 1. Where are you from? 這通常是彼此問候對方的第一個問題。您可以回答國家或是地區，比如說I'm from England或是 I'm from Dallas。
2.Is this your first trip to New York?對於遊客來說，這是一個很常見的問題。
3.It's hot today, isn't it?談論天氣是最常見的話題，尤其是在英國。
4. What do you do for a living? 意思是Where do you work?或是What's your job?
5.Did you see the match last night?體育也是一個很好的話題，但是你們如果是分別支持不同隊伍的話，可能會引起爭議！
6.How old are you?年齡是很敏感的話題，尤其是當男士詢問女士年齡的時候。
7.Have you put on weight?您應該避免對外表作出評論。您認為您在讚美別人的時候，有可能實際上已經冒犯了別人！
8.How much do you earn? 大多數的人不喜歡討論金錢，如果您問到他們的薪資時，他們會覺得非常尷尬。
9.您可以問下面這些問題使對話繼續。例如，如果有人說"I saw a
really good film last night"，您可以用疑問的語氣回答， "Really? What was it about?"
That's great!或是That's too bad.
Are you often at a loss for words in English? You have the opportunity to practice, but you don't know what to say? When it comes to conversing in English, keeping the conversation going can be tricky. Whether you're at a party or in a business setting, put these tips to use and you're sure to turn out a small talk champion!
When opening a conversation, it's best to choose safe topics like the weather, jobs, sports, hobbies and interests.
1. Where are you from? This is often the first question people ask each other. You could reply with a country or place, e.g. I'm from England or I'm from Dallas.
2. Is this your first trip to New York? This is a common question if one person is a visitor.
3. It's hot today, isn't it? Talking about the weather is a common small talk topic, especially in Britain.
4. What do you do for a living? This means Where do you work?, or What's your job?
5. Did you see the match last night? Sports can also be a good small talk topic, but this might lead to arguments if you support different teams!
Topics to avoid
Although it depends on your culture, in general you should avoid taboo topics like politics, religion, age and marital status.
6. How old are you? Age is a sensitive topic, especially when a man asks a woman her age.
7. Have you put on weight? You should avoid comments about appearance. You might think you are paying someone a compliment, when you are actually offending them!
8. How much do you earn? Most people dislike talking about money and would be embarrassed if you asked their salary.
You can also improve your small talk techniques with these tips:
9. Ask follow-up questions to keep the conversation going. For example, if someone says, "I saw a really good film last night", you could reply by asking, "Really? What was it about?"
10. Use appropriate responses to show you are listening. Suitable expressions include Oh?, Wow!, That's great! or That's too bad.